You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Forum für Postgeschichte und Markenfreu(n)de. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wvw1952

Experte

• "wvw1952" started this thread

Friday, August 11th 2017, 3:40pm

Letter from London to Hamburg 25 June 1731

Hello,

This is a letter from London (25 June 1731) sent to Hamburg.
The British rate (tariff of 1711) was 10 pence for a letter sent to Hamburg, franco Amsterdam.This rate was written on the back side. Above the 10, there is a special hand stamp, a so called jumbled numbers mark. The meaning of this hand stamp was to hidden the British post rate.
Is ther someone who can tell me what the other scrawl is on the back side? Is this a 4 or a X or a XI or ....? Can it be the rate to be paid in Hamburg?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Willy
wvw1952 has attached the following image:
  • 1731 juni 25.jpg

Friday, August 11th 2017, 4:05pm

Hello Willy,

very, very nice letter! I read "4" on the backside.
Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

Niemals bin ich weniger müßig, als in meinen Mußestunden. Und niemals weniger einsam, als wenn ich allein bin. Publius Cornelius Scipio "Africanus"

nordlicht

Experte

Sunday, August 13th 2017, 5:17pm

Hello Willy,

Yes, I read "4" too and it is very likely the 4 Schilling postage from Amsterdam to Hamburg.

Kind regards,
nordlicht

wvw1952

Experte

• "wvw1952" started this thread

Tuesday, August 15th 2017, 11:54am

Hello Nordlicht and Bayern Klassisch,

Thank for your answer. Was the postage in Hamburg written in black ink and not in red chalk?

Best regards,
Willy

Saturday, December 23rd 2017, 11:49am

Hello, I would say it is without doubts a "4". If you put the letter upside down (how it would be in front of the post officer) he would never write XI in the way startin with a diagonal line and then linking the second diagonal line of "X" to the "I". It is a "4".
Related to the color, I see both colors used. But all my letters go from Hamburg to somewhere and not from somewhere to Hamburg.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "AndreasCairo" (Dec 23rd 2017, 12:00pm)

Tuesday, December 26th 2017, 5:10pm

Vgl. Abbildungen auf den Tafeln 144/145 in Postvermerke auf Briefen des 15.- 18 Jhs.
Beste Grüße Achim