You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Forum für Postgeschichte und Markenfreu(n)de. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nordlicht

Experte

• "nordlicht" started this thread

Saturday, April 14th 2018, 3:54pm

USA nach/über Hamburg

Hallo,

dieser Brief lief 1854 per "prussian closed mail" mit dem Cunard-Dampfer "Asia" von New York nach Hamburg.
Der gestrichene Leitvermerk "per Texas Steamer via United States" und der rückseitige Stempel "Forwarded by Probst & Meinertzhagen" zeigen, dass der Brief von einem Forwarder in die USA gebracht und erst dort bei der Post aufgegeben wurde.

Kann jemand - vielleicht auch anhand ähnlicher Briefe - beantworten, in welchem Land der Brief vermutlich geschrieben wurde?

Viele Grüße
nordlicht
nordlicht has attached the following image:
  • Brief_US_Hamburg.jpg

robfaux

Experte

Saturday, April 14th 2018, 10:06pm

Hallo nordlicht!

My first reaction was that this item probably started in Mexico or Nicaragua.

It is odd that it is referenced as "Texas steamer" instead of "steamer Texas," but I am pretty sure it is referencing the ship. Here is information about that steamer from the Ships LIst website .

TEXAS1151 tons, length 216ft x beam 35ft, wooden hull, side paddle wheels, two masts. Built
by Thomas Collyer, New York in 1852 for Charles Morgan. Operated between New York and
San Juan de Nicaragua for Vanderbilt and Charles Morgan until Apr.1857. Abandoned in sinking
condition off Texas on 5th Oct.1868.
A bit more looking shows that the steamer Texas did carry mail from Mexico to New York City in the 1854-1856 period.There apparently is an interesting story surrounding that steamer in September and October of 1856 if you wish to research it.

Best,
Rob

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "robfaux" (Apr 14th 2018, 11:02pm)

nordlicht

Experte

• "nordlicht" started this thread

Saturday, April 14th 2018, 10:28pm

Hello Rob,

Thank you very much for all this precise information. It is interesting to read and very helpful.

Originally I hoped that the name of the forwarder agent (Probst & Meinertzhagen) could provide some additional hints regarding the origin but unfortunately I was not able to find appropriate information.

Kind regards,
nordlicht